Saturday 9 January 2010

A case of rather too much Testosterone?

I'm always surprising myself.  Not only do I *heart* really soft, pink, fluffy, chicklitty  films like: "While You Were Sleeping", "Dirty Dancing", "Fried Green Tomatoes", "Beaches" and "Love, Actually"-
the musical "Camelot" with Richard Harris and Vanessa Redgrave still makes me ache with longing when I watch it - but I also *heart* some very Blokey films.  Like ALL the "Die Hard"'s (including 4.0 which I wasn't expecting to because Brucie was virtually bald and I spent a lot of the time pointing out camera angles which cut off the top of his head to make it look as though he might have hair - it just wasn't *in shot* - bless), "Lock, Stock and 2 Smokin'", "Pulp Fiction", the "Kill Bill"s (in-cred-ible) "Fight Club" and the "Matrix"s.  But I've never really enjoyed any kind of War Movie.  Perhaps it harkened back to years of Sunday afternoons spent having to endure "I was Monty's Double" or "The Dambusters" or "633 Squadron" or even the perennially festive favourite "The Great Escape" with my Dad.  So I wasn't really expecting to enjoy "Inglorious Basterds".
  I think I just nodded when the Hubby suggested it - to keep him cheery.  I wasn't particularly bothered one way or the other.  And anyway, why did nobody think to spellcheck "Bastards" before the film was released?  Shame on them.  So imagine my delight (and Hubby's it has to be said) when I was virtually punching the cushion with camaraderie, hiding behind it at the scalping scenes, leaping to my feet in victory when the Nazi's got peppered with gunshot and squeaking excitedly when the Tarantino Trademark's started to shine?  He's amazing, isn't he?  I don't think there's a film by him I don't absolutely want to squeeze to little bits with delight.  It's an epic.  I could watch it over and over and never tire of it.  There were only 2 things that marred my enjoyment and that was 1. Bradd Pitt's excruitiatingly bad Southern drawl/very bad impersonation of  Coronation Street's Reg Holdsworth with a gun (if you click on the pic to embiggen you can JUST about see what I mean from the overbite ) and 2. John Travolta didn't sing or dance in any of the scenes.  In fact JT wasn't in it.  I just expected him to be.
Fab.  Fabby Fab.  Watch it.  Buy popcorn to eat in front of it.  It's 2 1/2 hours long but so fantastic it feels like 20 minutes.

4 comments:

Michele said...

I have to ditto what you said. I love the girly films but I also love the action stuff: the Die Hards, Shaft, 48 hours, earlier Harrison Ford,the spaghetti westerns (gee- what don't I like) but I loved Pulp Fiction- JT as Vinnie Vega was incredible.

Debs Riccio said...

Wasn't he, though, Michele? Even though he looked kinda fat and shiny in the pics - he was just ah-may-zing - and I think that's what turned me (back) onto the Samuel J guy too. Belter.

Fionnuala said...

Have to say I'm not a QT fan so I dont feel inspired to watch it. ANd what is THAT mispelling all about? x

Debs Riccio said...

I know, Fi - like they can't stretch to Spellcheck in Hollywood?!